Saturday, July 31, 2010

Smokin' Betty's

I was in Philadelphia today to volunteer at the Nartional Juvenile Arthritis Conference at the Downtown Marriot hotel.   This conference brings families from all over the country to network, discuss and learn about juvenile arthritis.    It was an awesome experience to be amongst kids from Texas, California, Missouri, Hawaii that have arthritis.  I bonded with a little ten year old boy name Daniel because we found out that we had the same birthday!
During our lunch break I met up with my friends Kate and Gia.  They live in the city so I knew they would be able to suggest good restaurants to eat at.  They agreed that we should go to Smokin' Betty's at 116 South 11th  Street    N.W. Corner of 11th and Sansome Streets  Philadelphia.  I immediately fell in love with this joint.  Very cute, not many frills.  I felt like I was stepping back in time.  Upon entering the front door my ear caught the crooning of Sinatra.  He was followed by many smooth jazz singers.  Definitely my kind of atmosphere.   We had the choice of sitting at a high top or regular table. We chose the latter. Our waitress was laid back yet bubbly and very attentive.  She even ran down to the bank when we asked for change.....wow.   I was looking over their regular menu....the fish tacos caught my eye.....fish of the day topped with shredded cabbage, pickled onions, avacado, sliced radishes, fresh lime and cilantro on flour tortillas.  Served with black bean, mango salsa.  However, it was brunch, and we were only allowed to order off the brucnh menu which was fine, because everything sounded amazing.  I ended up getting the chopped cobb salad... chicken, avocado, cucumber, egg, blue cheese, hickory smoked bacon, tomato and chopped romaine.  It was excellent!   Kate and Gia opted for the California turkey Sandwhich....avocado, sprouts, Jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, and honey mustard.  The sandwhich was enormous!  Smokin' Betty's is reasonably priced and very quaint.  I loved it.....I can't wait to go back to try the fish tacos!
http://smokinbettys.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment