Thursday, August 11, 2011

I'm back! Smoky Stuffed Peppers

So... it's been awhile since I have posted, but I am back!  I just got married on Sunday and have moved away from my home town.  I have a little more time on my hands, so I thought I would try and get back into blogging.
I made a slammin' recipe last night for John and I.  It was the first dinner I made as a married women, and let me just say.....I knocked it out of the park!   This recipe comes from the recipe book "Eating Well, Serves Two" from Jim Romanoff.  If you find that cooking for two is hard, this cookbook is fantastic! The portions are perfect!

d08601624a7e83ebb5df806ba1b4-5026_456X342.jpg


Smoky Stuffed Peppers

2 large bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded
4 ounces hot Italian sausage, removed from casing (about 1 link) 
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 large plum tomato, chopped 
2/3 cup instant brown rice
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup finely shredded smoked cheese, such as mozzarella, Cheddar or Gouda, divided. 


1.  Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.

2. Place peppers cut-side down in a  large, microwave-safe dish.  Fill the dish with 1/2 inch of water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are tender-crisps, 7 to 10 minutes.  Drain the water and transfer the peppers to a roasting pan.
  
3.Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.  Stir in broth, tomatoes and rice; bring to  simmer, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon.  Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice is softened but still moist, about 10 minutes.  

4. Stir basil and half the cheese into the rice mixture.  Divide the filling between the peppers, then top with the remaining cheese.  Broil until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.  


I served the peppers with an Orange and Avocado Salad with a Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette.  Yum! Enjoy!
My creation!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment